As my Love’s second deployment nears, I have been trying to decide on what my “deployment goals” will be. Having goals helped me significantly through last year’s deployment. Why do goals help? Well, by setting goals, I was able to keep my mind occupied (so I wasn’t driving myself crazy with worry). And by accomplishing my goals, I was empowered to set more, knowing that I can indeed do anything I set my mind to.
So far, I have come up with 5 goals for this upcoming long deployment:
- Pass all my classes.
- I will be a senior this year, so I need to maintain my GPA and graduate… This is all so exciting, but it’s going to be a lot of hard work! I will have classes like usual first semester, but then for second semester, I will be student teaching!
- Work out (at least) 2 times a week. Train and run a Half Marathon!
- You read that right… I want to run a half marathon while my Love is deployed! I know, I’m crazy. I’ve never been a runner, but I want to start. I have also convinced my best friend to do it with me. By doing it with a friend, we will hold each other accountable, we can cheer each other on, and we can support each other every step of the way.
- Write to my Love at least every other day.
- Over his first deployment, I wrote to my Love daily in a little journal. Then, when he returned, I gave the journal to him as a gift. He loved it! So, I’m going to continue with that little tradition. I already purchased the journals I will use.
- Send my Love one care package a month.
- Of course I will be sending care packages to my Love while he’s gone. I plan on sending at least one per month (since it practically takes a month to get to him while he’s deployed). I will also send little cards and letters too!
- Keep up on a “Dollar-a-Day Jar”.
- Every day that my Love is deployed, I plan on placing a dollar in a jar. Since he’ll be gone for a lot of days, it will add up to a lot of dollars!… Then, when he returns, we can have a nice date night on my bill. I’m sure he’ll appreciate that!
What goals have you made for deployments?
Jar Image From: http://www.popsugar.com/fitness/Workout-Piggy-Bank-Motivation-37442622